Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) intervenes in emergencies and crises, to relieve human suffering from unmet medical needs and to create a space for humanity. MSF works to provoke a social and political response that meets the essential needs, and respects and protects the dignity, of people in danger. MSF strives to innovate and incite change through its medical action, its “témoignage” and its active reflection on the situation of populations in danger. Respecting its Charter and shared principles, MSF is an independent movement of citizen associations that are integrated and open to their societies. In a spirit of volunteerism, acting in proximity to and in solidarity with assisted peoples, MSF’s members adhere to humanitarian principles and respect for medical ethics.
Artsen zonder Grenzen (MSF-Holland) is an Association of (former) field and office employees, with a Board keeping oversight. MSF-Holland has a partnership with MSF offices in the UK and Germany. This partnership, known as ‘MSF Operational Centre Amsterdam’ (MSF-OCA), operates medical humanitarian interventions in about 25 countries. Annually, MSF-OCA deploys approximately 800 international staff and employs 10,000 national staff.
The Human Resources Management (HRM) department in MSF-Holland consists of approximately 50 people working in the units HR4U, HRM Excellence, Office HR, Pool Management, Psychosocial Care and Recruitment Career Management.
With immediate effect our HRM Department is looking for a
HR Advisor Ops Desk (100%)
Based in Amsterdam with approximately 20-40% travel to the field
- Functional line management to HRCOs in their portfolio, providing direct guidance and support
- Reports to the Staff Director
- Functional reporting line to the Operations Manager (OM) of the Operations Desk
- Member of the HR Leadership team
Objective of the position:
- Collaborates with Operations Desk HRCo in designing the Mission’s HR objectives planned in ACP/SCP, to support the mission’s operational objectives.
- Provides HR tactical support to the mission. Supervise the implementation of HR related policies and tools in the Mission portfolio of the Operations Support Team (OST), ensuring they are in line with OCAs HR and International framework and operational and context needs.
- As a pro-active member of the OST, act as a liaison between Operations and HR Department in HQ, ensuring quality HR advice and an efficient flow of information between the two departments and disseminating HR state of affairs within the Mission portfolio.
- Represents and liaises on behalf HR Department towards its assigned Operational Desk and its Operational Support Team (OST).
- Provides support and guidance to the Operational Managers and its Operational Support Team (OST) to ensure HR requirements for the missions are met; sparring partner for the Desk.
- Provides support and guidance to OMs and other field managers on HR year planning, HR processes and staffing issues focusing on national staff.
- Provides overall framework and initiates and coordinates, in collaboration with HRCOs, on mission and Desk’s HR related activities such as staff year planning, projects, implementations, etc.
- Coordinates HR tactical/technical activities and leading on the specialised HR topics and policies such as Comp/Ben, talent management of NS, LD, Performance management, Responsible Behaviour Framework.
- Act as the single point of contact and link from Operations towards HR Front Office and HR Services for any HR related initiatives and state of affairs.
- Regular field support visits of approximately 20-40% per year 1x per year of each mission and projects in the portfolio and other additional trips needed to gain in-depth understanding of mission and projects contexts and requirements; HQ HR representation in the field.
- Responsible for supporting, coaching, steering and mentoring of HRCOs in the portfolio(s).
- Coordinates tactical staffing year plan with HRCO focusing on development of national staff (talent, succession performance management)
- Liaises with the HR Specialists to ensure correct implementation, execution and monitoring of HRM policies in collaboration with HRCO and ensure cohesion with OCA and other MSF intersectional initiatives and working groups.
- Coordinate and collaborates will the HR Implementers for any project specific changes, implementations such as changes in Function grid, IRP2 and other HR policies.
- Enhance leadership and people management skills, both on field and HQ level, and improving management capacity to be equipped to deal with complex situations and increased volume of work and developing relevant guidance and tools.
- Develop common frameworks, tools and processes for various HR processes
- Working closely with Learning Development, design proactive talent and succession plans for employees within pools and monitor progress.
- Represents OCA’s interests in various HR platforms to flag issues, promote cohesive approaches and share lessons learned, with the objective of ensuring good quality support to operations
- Execution of performance management to ensure staff is fully accountable and acknowledged for their actions and results.
- MSF experience with proven senior management track record and mission experience is strongly preferred, although experience in a medical humanitarian NGO is also well regarded.
- Degree in HR management or at least 3 years’ experience in HR at a senior level.
- Ability to travel to the field approximately 20-40%.
- In depth knowledge of HR best practices.
- Knowledge of HR systems and databases.
- Experience working in a fast paced and demanding working environment.
- Excellent command of the English language, knowledge of French and Arabic languages are preferable.
- People oriented and results driven.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Planning organizing
- Organizational sensitivity
- Customer orientation
- Results orientation
- A challenging and exciting position in an international environment;
- A contract for one year with renewal option, based on a full-time appointment for 40 hours per week (100% labour percentage).
- A gross monthly salary in scale 7 between € 3,286 and € 4,692 depending on professional experience, based on a fulltime appointment (40 hours per week);
- Other benefits include 30 holidays per annum (based on a fulltime appointment) and a premium-free pension plan.
If you are interested and would like to have additional information, please contact Mihaela Ionasc, Head of Department HRM via email@example.com
If you believe that you fit the profile, you can react directly via the ‘Apply Now’ button by this link:
Please upload a letter of motivation and Curriculum Vitae in English as one combined document.
The deadline for application is: 11 March 2019
*** Acquisitions regarding this position are not appreciated ***