Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an independent, medical, emergency relief organization that provides assistance to people worldwide, regardless of their background, religion or political convictions. Above all, we aim to save lives and to offer medical care to victims of disasters, wars and epidemics. Working together with local staff, we give direct support to the population. MSF also appeals to those in power, including governments and international organizations, and speaks out about the abuses we encounter in the course of our work.
MSF coordinates operations through collaborations between global offices. ‘Artsen zonder Grenzen Nederland’ (MSF-Holland) has a partnership with offices in the UK and Germany. This partnership, known as ‘MSF Operational Centre Amsterdam’ (MSF-OCA), operates medical humanitarian interventions in about 25 countries. Annually, MSF-OCA deploys approximately 1,200 international staff and employs 10,000 national staff.
The office of MSF-Holland located in Amsterdam hosts more than 300 employees, offering direct support to MSF-OCA operations.
The Human Resources Management (HRM) department in MSF-Holland consists of approximately 50 people working in the units Administration Services, HRM Excellence, Office HR, Pool Management, Psychosocial Care and Recruitment Career Management.
The unit HRM Excellence is a strong team of passionate HR professionals, who drive and maintain best practices across their areas of HR expertise including: Talent Management, Compensation Benefits, HR Analytics, HR Metrics and Technology Systems.
With immediate effect our HRM excellence team is looking for a
As the Compensation Benefits Specialist you will report to the Coordinator HR Excellence.
You are part of the Excellence team in the HRM department.
- To provide specialist operational support to MSF-OCA in the field of Compensation and Benefits, both locally (300+ HQ staff) and internationally (10’000+ staff in our missions);
- To develop processes for an effective implementation of, and compliance with, reward strategies;
- To support correct implementations of Reward Policies, Programmes, Tools, by providing technical guidance;
- Monitor, safeguard and evaluate proper application of policies, guidelines and decisions;
- To strongly contribute to increased alignment within Compensation Benefits globally by working effectively with peers and colleagues internationally.
- Develops and proposes effective processes and tools in the field of Compensation Benefits towards implementation of strategic decisions;
- Monitors and evaluates functioning of existing regulations, policies and procedures. Identifies gaps, areas of improvement, suggests practical solutions. May be asked to implement improvements;
- Provides guidance in translating general rules to specifics of local field / country situation (example: compliance with salary grid, function grid or results of salary benchmarks);
- Schedules plans for implementation of policies, procedures and programmes (revised grids etc.) – as requested;
- Assesses and validates results of salary benchmarks (mainly 30 mission countries) and remuneration approaches in economic turmoil (shortage of local currency, hyperinflation etc.), proposes optimal methods and timing to implement,
- Supports build-up of CompenBen strategies by providing operational insight and delivering calculation/scenario assessment,
- Analyses job descriptions and job profiles, scores, oversees fit and compatibility with the general framework,
- May be required to perform work in missions (“field work”), such as implementation of policies, programmes, processes. 2-3 times a year;
- Manages own time (long- and short-term) and regularly reports on status of activities;
- Develops and facilitates relevant HR modules for internal training;
- Builds communities of expertise and regularly shares knowledge, developments and project status with peers, stakeholders and colleagues;
- Travel required includes intersectional meetings (~10%) and potential field work (~20%)
- Other duties as assigned
Qualifications and experience
- University degree (Business Administration, Human Resources or related field preferred);
- Minimum 1 years of experience within Compensation Benefits or Reward area. Candidates without prior experience will not be considered for the role;
- Demonstrated hands-on experience with job analysis, function grids, salary benchmarking;
- Close familiarity with job profiles, grids and scoring;
- Proven ability to strike the balance between the best and pragmatic solution;
- Working experience in international environment, with daily collaboration with and within multicultural groups;
- High Excel proficiency is a must;
- Ability to effectively interact between diverse stakeholders and units;
- Languages: English fluent; French desirable;
- Project planning and project management experience is a plus;
- NGO experience is a plus.
- Good communication skills. Both oral, written, and presentation skills;
- Strong planning, prioritising and time-management skills;
- Problem analysis proactive solution development;
- Collaboration skills;
- Tact, cultural sensitivity;
- Sense of humour.
- A challenging and exciting position in an international environment.
- A fixed term contract for one year with the possibility of an extension.
- A gross monthly salary in scale 5 between € 2,365 and € 3,377 depending on professional experience (based on 40 hours/week).
- 30 holidays per annum (based on 40 hours/week).
- Premium-free pension.
For more information about this position, please contact Magda Pietrek on tel. +31 (0)20 520 ext. 8575 on 4th October between 15:00-17.00 hrs.
If you recognize yourself in the profile, please apply directly via our website and please upload a letter of motivation and a copy of your resume in English as one combined document.
The deadline is Sunday 14 October 2018.
***Enquiries or contact from recruitment agencies and head-hunters are not appreciated***